Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Caslon typefaces in 18th century printing



I would like to reward my readers with the following reproduction of the 6th edition of my "Clarissa" from 1768. The 1st edition came out in 1748. Here you see the page containing the List of Principal Persons, followed by the first page of the first volume--


                  



If any person be curious to know the name of the typeface used for these editions, it is called Caslon, a very common font among many 18th century publications. 

Here I present some reproductions of pages from the 1st edition (1755) of my book called "A Collection of the Moral and Instructive Sentiments, Maxims, Cautions, and Reflexions, Contained in the Histories of Pamela, Clarissa and Sir Charles Grandison"---


Sentiments &c extracted from Pamela

          


Sentiments &c extracted from Pamela



Sentiments &c extracted from Clarissa

       

Sentiments &c extracted from Clarissa





No comments:

Post a Comment